Did you know that falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths among seniors? Falls are sadly also the leading cause of non-fatal injuries to seniors as well. The statistics prove that the results are staggering and putting together a senior fall prevention plan should be a priority. We here at Gables Assisted Living have put together a checklist to help you take precautions to prevent falls with your loved one.
- Consider a walk in tub to ensure easy entrance and exit.
- Keep items off of stairs, make sure to fix loose or uneven steps.
- Make sure stairway is lighted.
- Exercise regularly. Doing exercises that increase leg strength, improve balance and flexibility. Consider yoga or riding a bike.
- Reduce or eliminate medications that may cause dizziness or drowsiness.
- Move furniture that is in the way.
- Get up slowly when lying down or sitting.
- Make sure kitchen items are within reach. If you can’t reach item make sure your step stool is stable before each use.
- Use a night light in areas of your home that you may need to visit at night such as a bedroom, bathroom or kitchen.
- Secure loose carpeting and use double-sided tape on rugs so they do not slip.
- Use non-skid, no-wax flooring.
- Reposition electrical and extension cords so they are out of the way.
- Install handrails on both sides of stairways.
- Clean spills immediately to avoid slipping.
- Remove roots outside that protrude from the ground.
- Spread sand or salt on icy walkways.
We hope you consider making these safety improvements to make sure your loved one’s home is slip and fall free as possible.
At Gables Assisted Living we work hard to help each resident live their best quality of life. If you are located in Idaho or Utah, call us today to learn more about our service and schedule a private tour!